Safety legislation requirements when letting your property

Each property included in the official accommodation register has to demonstrate compliance to the following legislation:

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998

These regulations came into force on 31 October 1998 – they relate to all gas appliances, fittings, pipe work and installations, fixed or portable, be they mains, propane or Calor gas. The Landlord must for the purpose of this short term letting ensure that a valid and current Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate is in place and be in a position to provide a copy of the document to ourselves by 12th June 2021.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

The regulations apply to any electrical equipment between 50 and 1000 volts a/c and require that the apparatus must be safe and will not cause danger. We strongly recommend that a Portable Appliance Test (including a visual wiring inspection) be carried out before the commencement of the tenancy. It is also recommended that each property undergoes a 5-yearly electrical safety inspection.

All electrical work and testing should be carried out by an NICEIC registered electrician.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (Amendment 1993)

It is an offence to let property containing furniture and furnishings which do not comply with this regulation. If any property is found not to comply, the Landlord could face up to six month imprisonment and/or fines of up to £50.000.

With effect from 1 March 1993, it became and offence to supply furniture in a rented property which does not comply with the standards contained in Regulation 14 of the 1988 Regulations.

Items covered by the regulations

Items Exempt from the Regulations

All new furniture should be labelled to indicate compliance with the safety regulations.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

For the protection of the property and for the tenants, your property must be equipped with fully functioning smoke detectors (one on each floor) as well as a fully functioning carbon monoxide alarm.

Oil, LPG, Solid Fuel Appliances and Wood Burning Stoves

It is recommended that Oil, LPG solid fuel appliances and wood burning stoves should be serviced and checked annually. Wood burning stoves, installed from 2011 must have an Installation Certificate and Carbon Monoxide alarm fitted. Any room where solid fuel is burnt, such as wood, coal or biomass as well as open fires, must have a carbon monoxide alarm.

Glass Partitions

If large panes of glass extending to below waist height feature in your property, they should be glazed with safety glass. Glass must be fitted securely in balcony door frames and windows.

Fire Risk Safety Assessment

By law (Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005), you are responsible for taking steps to protect the people using your premises from the risk of fire. If you have paying guests, you are required to carry out a fire risk assessment which you can do yourself, or pay a fire safety specialist. If you fail to do so, you are not only breaking the law, but you are putting your guests and your property at risk. You may be inspected by the Fire Service as part of its responsibility to enforce the law. The guide for carrying out a fire risk assessment can be found in our Landlord’s Guide which is supplied to you at the free appraisal visit along with an example of how to fill in a fire risk assessment form (provided with this booklet). The risk assessment should be no older than 1 year at the letting period.

Insurance Cover

You must advise your insurer of your intention to let and have adequate insurance cover put in place. In addition to building and contents cover, we recommend that you put in place public liability insurance cover for a minimum threshold of £2,000,000. Insurance should also cover damage to contents.