Preparing your property for The Open 2020
If you are letting your house through Colebrook Sturrock, you should start planning as soon as possible.
If you need to make some improvements, it would be advisable to start work early. The better the presentation of your property, the more likely you are to find a let.
It is essential that your home is presented in the best possible condition, scrupulously clean and tidy, with all appliances in good working order.
The checklist below identifies some of the requirements.
- Fresh and clean decoration both inside and outside.
- Sitting rooms and dining room should have adequate seating to accommodate the maximum number of guests.
- All beds must be made up with good quality linen, and towels provided for each occupant.
- One change of linen and towels must be provided for each bed.
- All mattresses should have mattress covers fitted.
- At least one wardrobe provided for each bedroom.
- One chest of drawers provided for each bedroom.
- All kitchen appliances must be spotlessly clean for tenants’ on arrival.
- Freezer space should be left available, with owners provisions clearly marked.
- Refrigerator left spotlessly clean and empty.
- Dry provisions cupboards must be left clean, with areas cleared for tenants to store food.
- Any areas of storage for owners’ property should be clearly marked and locked.
- Any valuable or irreplaceable items should be removed or stored in a locked area.
- One television should be provided for each property, and be in good working order.
- An internet connection is absolutely essential.
- The oven and hob must be spotlessly clean.
- A “Home Pack” must be provided, and prominently displayed in the house. This should give information on all the instructions of the electrical and gas appliances throughout the property, and the tradesmen you use in case of emergencies.
Once a let has been confirmed, you should make arrangements to meet your tenants where necessary. Should you be unable to see your tenants into your property, please let us know in good time, so that we can make alternative arrangements for you. For some corporate lets, companies prefer to receive keys through your agent / key safe/. You will however, be required to arrange the check-out on Monday 20th July 2020 at mid-day.
Home Information Pack
You will be required to provide a Home Information Pack to us by no later than Friday 3rd July 2020 and then leave a copy at your home for the tenants. This pack must include;
- Clear instructions for using the property's alarm system if it has one,
- Access to be able to use WiFi network,
- Clear instructions for using any electronic equipment such as TVs, DVD players, Coffee machines, etc.,
- Contact details for your preferred plumber, electrician etc. (this will help in case something breaks such as a hot water tank, so that we do not have to use the contingency deposit of 20% from the Landlord)
- A 24-hour emergency contact
Safety legislation requirements will need to be adhered to, and should be provided to the Agent by 11th April 2011. Please read our guide to Safety Requirements for more information. If you have any problems, please contact us at Colebrook Sturrock for clarification.
Keyholder during the tenancy period
Please provide information on your keyholder during the let, whether it is yourselves, a neighbour or friend, or in some cases, we the Agent.
A set of keys should be lodged with the Agent, and keys to the house provided for each bedroom let(4 bedrooms = 4 sets of keys).
We advise that where possible a Schedule of Condition is prepared which can be given to the tenant on arrival. Payment for any damage caused during the rental can be retained from the refundable security deposit taken before the let. We also recommend taking photographs of the property including carpets, furniture etc just before the letting period, so as to ensure a more efficient process of dealing with damage & repair after the let.
Please contact your telephone service provider to arrange that your bill for calls during the period of the rental be itemised. A copy of the bill should be sent to our offices within 14 days of the end of the occupancy, so that the amount due can be deducted from the refundable deposit. The rental for the period is included in your gross rental charge.
In case of Emergencies
Should we be unable to contact an owner or keyholder during the period of the let, and an emergency occurs, Colebrook Sturrock reserve the right to carry out contingency repairs, to make good the property for the remainder of the rental.
Public Liability Insurance is required for the period of the let, for a minimum threshold of £2,000.000 for any one incident, in addition to your building and contents cover.
Should you have difficulty covering this with your existing Insurance Company, please let us know, as we will be pleased to put you in touch with a company who can tailor-make a policy to cover you. A copy of your policy must be placed with Colebrook Sturrock prior to the let of your property.